Sunday, April 1, 2012

Quadrocopter Build - Part 8 - Setting pots/gain on KK flight controller

Latest video:

Here is some of the most stable flight yet. During this video I set the potentiometers for the KK board (blackboard hardware version 5.5) with firmware version 4.7.

I have spent quite a lot of time in the past trying to stop the quad from drifting side to side, ect. I have worked out most of those issues by changing the values used as center on the transmitter using the PC. That aside, now I work on the pot settings.

Near the end one of the two blade props I am using broke at the shaft hole. This is because they shaft holes were too small and I had to drill them out to make them fit. New tree blade props are already on order.

Here are the steps to adjust the pot settings. Do these outside or where you have at least 10 square feet to work.
"Pot function for flight

1. Yaw = 50% to start with (This is the P and I parameter of the Yaw control loop), (on my quads all of them works @ 100%)
Adjust this parameter the following way:
Increase the pot until you notice oscillation in the Yaw.
When it is oscilliting reduce it a bit..

2. Pitch = 0 to start with (this is the I parameter of Roll and Pitch control loop)
Adjust this parameter the following way:
When hovering, trigger the Roll or Pitch stick.
If the quad does not wobble after stick release, increase the pot until it does wobble. (1% at a time, its extremely sensitive)
When its starting to wobble, reduce the pot a bit.

3. Roll = 40% to start with (this is the P parameter of Roll and Pitch control loop)
Adjust this parameter the following way:
Increase the pot until you notice oscillation during hovering.
When it is oscilliting reduce it a bit."

No comments: