Monday, March 12, 2012

Quadrocopter Build - Part 4 - Outdoor

I thought that I likely damaged enough furniture trying to fly indoors, so I would try outdoor. At this point the reversed gyro on the KK board was not sitting well with me. I for sure can reverse it in the 4.7+ software via the PC + USB cable, but that has a bug with M4. A lot of good that does me...

Outdoor test flight number one. Unsuccessful attempt to fly outdoors. It was quite windy and the battery was low.

Not exciting, but a good test of using a GorillaPod (flexible camera tripod) on the ContourHD. I think it vibrates too much. Will need to mount the camera on top or bottom.

Forward and backwards were reversed.

I have gone back to version 2.2 of the software/firmware. This *should* be what came on the board when I got it, however it doesn't seem to be allowing me to reverse the pitch gyro using the directions everyone talks about, seen here:
Under "4. Gyro(Servo) direction reversing"

This did work for me on firmware version 4.7. However we all now know about the M4 issue in that. I have yet to try firmware v4.5, ect. I Need to get time this week to try that out.

I also need to balance more propellers. I also need to order more propellers... I have a set of two blade props, but the recommended props for these motors were three blade. Also, I hear that three blade are quieter. Sounds good, if its true :)

Two motors are way off balance because I put on unbalanced propellers. This was a temporary fix.

Next outdoor attempts. Just trying to get trim and gyros right, and reverse gyro direction for pitch.

When trying to use the 'Gyro direction reversing' steps, I somehow changed something with the yaw, causing it to spin up and out of control when I used yaw.

I reset the KK board settings using 'Clear all settings [servo & stick centering]'.

Part 2 of trying to fly that day. Nothing is resolved. Not owrking great.

I also have a battery drain issue. I am sure that the battery is not powerful enough. Here is my calculation... try to follow me here...

ESCs are rated at 20A Max. There are four of them. 4 * 20 = 80A Max draw (plus board and Rx).

The battery is rated at 30C Constant draw, and 35C Max/burst. 35C is 35 times the current rating, aka the mAh rating of the battery. This battery is 2.28 Ah (2280mAh). Therefore in one C (aka cycle) this battery can output a maximum of 35*2.28 Amps. That it 79.8 Amp Max. That is less than that max of my speed controllers.

Often, the battery is only lasting me a few minutes of testing. That's not even fly time.
When I am at about 3/4 throttle, the battery monitor starts to beep even when the battery is at a full charge. Has happened twice at least.

I have also had a few times where I increase the throttle but the motors do not speed up. This also leads me to thing it is either a battery or ESC issue.

I will need to buy a bigger battery. I planned to anyway, but though it would be to extend flight time not to maintain flight.

Last attempts for the day. Same issues. Thought I'd just try to fly it even with pitch backwards.
Enjoy.

Until next time...

No comments: